Main Street Minneota in 1914.

From the Mascot Files: 75, 50, and 25 years ago

100 Years Ago-October 24, 1919

Was it a ghost?

If you can explain how what happened to Ernest Mattson during the dark hours that separated Sunday from Monday of this week, you will write your name in the pages of history along with Sherlock Holmes. Ernest Mattson was visiting his wife at Granite Falls, where she has been a patient at the hospital, last Sunday. He returned to his home early in the evening and retired. At about 8 o’clock the next morning Mr. Mattson tells us that he awoke and found himself on the floor, right in front of the bed, where he was lying in a pool of blood, his face bruised and swollen and both of his eyes blackened. How, or when this happened he does not know. The only way it can be explained is on the theory that he was stunned by the first blow and did not come to until long afterward. Nothing in the house was disturbed and no evidence of anyone had entered the house could be found.

75 Years Ago-October 27, 1944

Store Moves

The Gamble Store, which is operated by Mrs. Virgil Ufkin during the absence of her husband, Lt. Virgil Ufkin, in the Army, will move to new quarters in the building owned by Mrs. Mary Tibbits the first of next month. The Tibbits building was formerly occupied by the Dennesen Insulating Co., who have moved their headquarters from here to Granite Falls. Died in France Memorial services will be held at St. Edward’s Catholic church on November 2 for Pvt. Alphonse Van Loy, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Van Loy, who died October 2 as a result of wounds received in action in France. He was 22 years old. Personals A large poultry house on the H.J. Glaim farm north of here was completely destroyed by fire Saturday afternoon of last week.

50 Years Ago-October 30, 1969

Lindall Named to Head’s Staff

Attorney General Douglas Head announced the appointment of Robert Lindall as a special assistant attorney general for the State of Minnesota. Lindall is the son of Mrs. L.F. Lindall of Minneota. Local Soldier Named ‘Outstanding’ Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Drown received a letter from the captain of the 579th Ordinance Company that their son, SP4 John C. Drown, had been selected the outstanding soldier of the month.

Population Drops in Three Counties

Minnesota’s population was 3,657,000 as of July 1, 1968, an increase of 233,136 over the census taken in 1960, according to the statistics and estimates prepared by the Minnesota Department of Health, but three counties in this area, Lyon, Lincoln, and Yellow Medicine, showed a decline in population, as did all but one of those in the southwestern corner of the state. Lyon County, with a population of 22,655 when the census was taken in 1960, had 20,874 persons living within its boundaries as of July of 1968.

Two Visit M-M Tractor Factory

Two from this community who are attending the Canby Area Vocational-Technical school, Harold Bottelberghe and Daryl Gossen, took part in a field trip to the Minneapolis-Moline tractor factory October 9.

25 Years Ago-October 26, 1994

Ground breaking “ceremony” at the Minneota Manor

Staff members of the Minneota Manor took part in a “Ground Breaking” ceremony, signifying the start of construction of a new wing to be added to the facility. Present were Julie Bottelberghe, Bob Tillemans, Paul Erickson, Mary Ann Full, Mark King, Vicki Lozinski, Katie Grengs, Shirley Myhre, Louise Stassen and Mavis and Dick Erickson, Administrator of the Manor.

Jaycees earn important award

The Minneota Jaycees earned a very prestigious award at the State meeting this past September. The handsome plaque reads: “The United States Junior Chamber of Commerce Gold Chip Award presented to Minneota, MN for continual years of Blue Chip success through outstanding service to Chapter members and the community.” Members present at the monthly meeting were: Alice Downing, Sue Fonteyn, Carol Myhre, Karen Swedzinski, D.J. Prellwitz, Mike Downing, Randy Prellwitz, and Bob Prellwitz, Jr.

Remodeled Minneota Library Open House

Board members present at the Open House that was held at the newly remodeled Minneota City Library were: Librarian Mary Buysse, Marilynn Pagel, Lorraine Ousman, Freida Geiwitz and Corky DeCock.

Contact Us

The Minneota Mascot
Address: 201 N. Jefferson
Minneota, MN 56264

Phone:(507) 872-6492