Ask the Chief
With snow season getting underway, here are a few things you should know:
(1) You need to remove snow and ice from your sidewalk within 12 hours of the snow stopping. (Ticket may be issued).
(2) You are not permitted to blow or push snow from your driveway or sidewalk into the street. (Ticket may be issued).
(3) You are not permitted to blow or push snow into your neighbor's yard. (Ticket may be issued).
(4) Snow emergencies may be declared that require you to park off of the street during the snow emergency. (A ticket WILL be issued to all vehicles found parked on the street during a snow emergency. We notify the public via Facebook, and NIXLE).
(5) Sign up for free messages from the city with NIXLE by texting 56264 to 888777.
(6) If it is snowing, sleeting, raining, blowing snow... you must turn on your headlights. By turning them on with your hand you also turn on your taillights. Daytime running lights don't turn on your taillights and people will not be able to see you from behind.
(7) SLOW DOWN, SLOW DOWN, SLOW DOWN. Leave 10-20 minutes earlier than normal. Increase your stopping distance. Don't use cruise control. Better to arrive late than not at all.
(8) During large or severe storms - Stay home. Don't risk your life or the life of the First Responders who have to save you.
(9) Garbage and Recycling containers go on the boulevard, not the street.
(10) If you have a fire hydrant on your block you should consider working with neighbors to clear the snow from around it. It could save your life and your home.